America – In Trouble with God
Recently, I had the honor to represent Moral Action at the Capital Baptist Association monthly meeting at Hillcrest Baptist Church, Yazoo City, MS and Pastor Jeff Dixon. This association has ten local churches in the Jackson, Yazoo, Bentonia, Pearl and Vicksburg areas. They are comprised of wonderful pastors and congregations.
After the Moral Action message and promotion, a layman from Hillcrest Church gave me an intriguing list. The gentleman, Mr. Gene Creel of Scotland Community in Yazoo County and a faithful dedicated servant, shared with me a common desire to see our nation turn back to Almighty God. He had comprised the following list about America. I wanted to share it with you in this article.
America In Trouble:
Because of legislated sins and or ignored sins:
1) Lightly esteeming marriage vows;
2) Abortion (disregarding the sacredness of life);
3) Liquor (intoxication);
4) Gambling (legalized robbery);
5) Promotion of homosexuality and lesbianism;
6) Pornography (an addiction);
7) Too much focus on sporting events;
8) Desecration of the Lord’s Day;
9) Toleration of vulgarity/profanity
10) Unwed mothers and adulterous relationships
11) Dysfunctional families, (mothers/and/or fathers absent)
12) Greed (the love of money)
13) Illicit drugs (destruction of mind and body);
14) Disrespect of authority
15) Promotion of tobacco products that bring harm to family/health
16) Profane movies/music
17) Inability to protect our citizens
18) Inability to protect our borders
19) Liberal courts and judges
20) Failure to stand by Israel, God’s people
21) Criminals released from prisons due to costs
22) Muslims allowed to espouse Islam
23) Attempts to remove “God” and Biblical principles from America
24) Interference in foreign governments
25) Failure of government to control spending/debt escalation
26) Entitlements escalation out of control
27) “watering down” of God’s Word
28) Failure to witness about Jesus Christ as the Saviour
29) Failure of Christians to tithe in their congregations
30) Failure of Christians to honor God’s house by irreverent dress codes
Thanks, Mr. Gene!
I Kings 21:17 “and the word of the Lord came to Elijah
the Tishbite, saying, Arise, go down to meet Ahab king of Israel”….verse 20,
“And Ahab said to Elijah, Hast thou found me, O mine enemy?
And he answered, I have found thee: because thou hast sold thyself to work
evil in the sight of the Lord” verse 21
“Behold I will bring evil upon thee, and will take away thy
So, what is the answer?
“If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.” Verse 15 “now mine eyes shall be upon, and mine ears attend unto the prayers that is made in this place.” II Chronicles 7:14-15.
We need to pray, seek God’s face, repent at the house of God and help turn our great nation, America, back to her foundations, her Christian foundations. Dr. Billy Graham, in his autobiography, “Just As I AM” addresses such a troubled list. Graham asks the question, “what has the message, that will not change, meant for every generation?”
“The message is, first of all, a message about God. God created us in His image. He created us and loves us
so that we may live in harmony and fellowship with Him. We are not here by chance. God put us here for a purpose, and our lives are never fulfilled and complete until His purpose becomes the foundation and center of our lives.
The message is also about the human race, and about each one of us. The Bible says that we have been separated and alienated from God because we have willfully turned our backs on Him and are determined to run our lives without Him. This is what the Bible means by sin – choosing our way instead of God’s way, and not giving Him His rightful place in our lives. The evidence of this is all around us, in the moral chaos and heartache of our world. The headlines scream every day that we live in a broken, sin-ravaged world.
But in addition, the message declares that God still loves us. He yearns to forgive us and bring us back to Himself. He wants to fill our lives with meaning and purpose right now. Then He wants us to spend all eternity with Him in Heaven, free forever from the pain and sorrow and death of this world.”